Baltiysk is a Russian seaport town in Kaliningrad Oblast. It is situated on the northern part of the Vistula Spit, 29 miles from Kaliningrad, on the shore of the Strait of Baltiysk separating the Vistula Bay from the Gdańsk Bay. Baltiysk is the westernmost town of Russia. The town is a major naval base of the Baltic Fleet and a ferry port on the route to St. Petersburg.
Attractions in and around the town include the pentagonal Pillau Citadel, currently holding a naval museum; the ruins of the 13th-century Lochstadt Castle; a maze of 19th-century naval fortifications; the Naval Cathedral of St. George (1866); the 32-metre Expressionist observation tower (1932); the Gothic Revival building of the Baltic Fleet Museum (1903); and an elegant lighthouse.
Things to see and do
* Pillau Citadel
* Ruins of the 13th-century Lochstadt Castle
* 32-metre Expressionist observation tower
* Baltic Fleet Museum
* Lighthouse - dating from 1813-16
Cruise Season – March - Nov
Currency – Ruble (RUB)
Language – Russian
Land Area - 15,100 sq km’s (Kaliningrad Oblast)
Population – 40,000 approx
Electricity – 2 round pins European style
Time – GMT plus two hours to plus twelve hours
International Country Telephone Code – + 7
Port Location – The port is located on the outskirts of the city of Baltiysk.
Travel Links – Baltiysk can be accessed by ferry from St Petersburg.
Batiysk can also be accessed from nearby Kaliningrad, which offers air, rail and bus links from many destinations in Russia.